Re: MIA - Software for medical image alaysis

Hi Gert,

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 02:47:54PM +0100, Gert Wollny wrote:
> thanks for the pointers. I made myself an Alioth account
> (gert-guest) and will star to move the packages from ubuntus bazaar
> to the git structure.

Sounds good.  I just added gert-guest to the Debian Med project to enable
commit permissions.  Note:  I also found

 gerddie-guest	Gert Wollny

on Alioth - perhaps an old yccount you might have forgot.  It might be a
good idea to ask Alioth admins for deleting this (admittedly I have no
idea about the account administration on Alioth.)

Please make sure you read the "SSH tips" in our Debian Med team policy:

   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html#ssh-tips

and specifically the link to the Wiki article.

> -----
> Now for some questions:
>  - should I make an ITP bug for each package, or is it better to
> group the ITPs for packages that are closely related. i.e.

There is a 1:1 relation between ITP and package.  The reason is simple:
If you upload the package the bug is closed - so with the first upload
there would be no remaining bug to close for the other packages.

>    vistaio - required for all other packages
>    mia + pymia + viewitgui   (mia is required by the other two)
>    mialm + mialmpick  - (mialm is requiered by mialmpick)
>
> - anybody has used the git-bzr-ng tool to bridge between bazaar
> (Ubuntu packaging repro) and git (debian-med)?
>   https://github.com/termie/git-bzr-ng the thing is it hasent seen a
> stable release yet.

Sorry, I never used bzr and I'm just starting to understand Git ...

> - lintian:
> My  libmia package contains more than one shared library, so I guess
> I should override the "package-name-doesnt-match-sonames", right?

It depends.  Alternatively you might consider creating more than one
binary package.  It helps to decide if you answer the question whether
it might make any sense to install a single library without all the
others - in this case I'd vote for single binaries.  Otherwise a lintian
override might make sense.

> The libmia-doc created by Doxygen contains a  "jquery.js"
> (embedded-javascript-library). I read that one should add  the
> according package as dependency and remove the javascript, tried it,
> but is seems that the system provided jquery.js is different, i.e.
> the documentation web page didn't work properly. So I'd override
> this as well.

I recently learned that this could be a dangerous decision.  If the
source code contains some compressed JavaScript people do consider this
as "binary without source" which in turn deserves a RC bug (or ftpmaster
will reject the initial upload).  Are you really sure that doxygen
created jquery functions are not properly rendered with Debian's
packages jquery?

> mia-viewitgui and mialmpick:
>
> binary-without-manpage - what kind of man page is common for GUI
> programs (apart from possible command line options)?
> IMHO a man page should be helpful, but a GUI program will probably
> fare better with a graphical tutorial, especially since specifying
> comand line options is not really needed.

Usually some basic manpage is fine.  In many cases it is easily possible
to genereate a manpage using help2man.

Hope this helps