Re: New upstream version of velvet contains debian/ dir

[History of thread:
   http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2012/09/msg00024.html
   and following
 Please stick to debian-devel when responding - reply-to set]

Hi Charles,

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 04:30:38PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I answer on debian-med only to avoid adding to the confusion.

I also consider the mail at debian-med list as improperly placed because
it does not have anything to do with the scope of the Debian Med team
but rather expresses your opinion about how upstream could / should
handle its source tarball layout in connection to available tools inside
Debian.  I wonder what other developers might think (reply-to set to
debian-devel).  If I relay on our official advise to upstream[1] the
personal opinion you are expressing below is in contrast what the Wiki
says.  If others might share your opinion we should change the
documentation.

> My opinion is that it has always been a fallacy to criticize upstream for
> having debian directories.  Most problems with upstream debian directories are
> a consequence of upstream being unavailable to fix any bug at all, rather than
> something specific to this directory.
>
> In line with this, I also think that the approach taken in the 3.0 (quilt)
> format, to discard the debian directory completely, is a total regression.
> Luckily, we can use the format 1.0 when no other special feature is needed.
> The format 3.0 (native) is also quite handy.
>
> For the packages that I started and on which I am still a major contributor, I
> would like Upstream to include a debian directory in his source tarballs.
> Other developers may dislike it for their package, and this is a choice that I
> respect.

I consider it reasonable if a package is team maintaines we should
either stick to general Debian recommendations or override this in our
team policy in case there might be reached some consensud about this.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide