Re: New upstream version of velvet contains debian/ dir

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 08:44:18AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I personally find very exciting that upstreams manage a debian directory in
> their source package.  Especially when both Debian and Upstream have the source
> in a Git repository, this is a very good step for a fruitful collaboration.
>
> Most of the points that Andreas is raising are mostly an issue with the oldest
> formats for source packages in Debian.

I think it needs some clarifying words to explain contradictory advise
which most probably is confusing at best to Scott and other upstream
developers of upstream.  My mail contained basically three arguments
against a debian/ dir in the upstream tarball and only one of these
three (the last item) might be a weak argument considering the new tools
we have can deal with this reasonably.  I fail to see a reason why we
should break good old principles which are reasonable also these days
only because there are tools which are able to deal with such issues.

On the other hand I'm perfectly in line with Charles that it is exciting
that upstream obviosely prefers Debian and there are pretty good chances
for a cooperation - here we both (Charles and me) are keen on enhancing
this and this was actually the purpose of our both mails.

> I think that the use case presented by the Velevet developers is very sound.
> In my experience talking with colleagues and upstream developers, the lack of
> possibility to install different versions side-to-side is a very strong
> limitation on the use of our packages.  In most cases, peple tell me that they
> use Debian, but not our packages.

As I said in my previous mail we should raise this discussion on Debian
Science.  Three years ago I raised this issue in a Debian Science roundtable
which is even recorded in the Wiki[1].  BTW, I learned from the new upstream
version that one of the proposals in the Wiki - provide test cases - is now
implemented in velvet upstream and if I build the package using the latest
packaging stuff in SVN[2] all tests are passing nicely.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/ProblemsToWorkOn#Enable_pinning_to_defined_versions_of_programs
[2] svn://svn.debian.org/debian-med/trunk/packages/velvet/trunk/