Re: New upstream version of velvet contains debian/ dir

Hello everybody,

I personally find very exciting that upstreams manage a debian directory in
their source package.  Especially when both Debian and Upstream have the source
in a Git repository, this is a very good step for a fruitful collaboration.

Most of the points that Andreas is raising are mostly an issue with the oldest
formats for source packages in Debian.  In the case of Velvet, I think that
everything can go smoothly if we work by tracking the upstream Git repository
and pulling from it.  Of course, Velvet developers are most welcome to join the
Debian Med team and help maintaining the package from inside.

The main point of incompatibility will be the support for custom builds.  Would
it be acceptable to have standard builds as default, and trigger local build
with extra parameters or setting environment variables ?  That would allow for
a full merge of our source packages.

I think that the use case presented by the Velevet developers is very sound.
In my experience talking with colleagues and upstream developers, the lack of
possibility to install different versions side-to-side is a very strong
limitation on the use of our packages.  In most cases, peple tell me that they
use Debian, but not our packages.

I can convert the current Subversion-managed Debian source package of velvet
to a Git-managed one if you are interested.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,