Re: New upstream version of velvet contains debian/ dir

Le Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 08:33:58AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> I think it needs some clarifying words to explain contradictory advise
> which most probably is confusing at best to Scott and other upstream
> developers of upstream.  My mail contained basically three arguments
> against a debian/ dir in the upstream tarball and only one of these
> three (the last item) might be a weak argument considering the new tools
> we have can deal with this reasonably.  I fail to see a reason why we
> should break good old principles which are reasonable also these days
> only because there are tools which are able to deal with such issues.

Hi Andreas,

I answer on debian-med only to avoid adding to the confusion.

My opinion is that it has always been a fallacy to criticize upstream for
having debian directories.  Most problems with upstream debian directories are
a consequence of upstream being unavailable to fix any bug at all, rather than
something specific to this directory.

In line with this, I also think that the approach taken in the 3.0 (quilt)
format, to discard the debian directory completely, is a total regression.
Luckily, we can use the format 1.0 when no other special feature is needed.
The format 3.0 (native) is also quite handy.

For the packages that I started and on which I am still a major contributor, I
would like Upstream to include a debian directory in his source tarballs.
Other developers may dislike it for their package, and this is a choice that I
respect.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy