Re: Any progress with FIS GT.M?

Hi Andreas,

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> please note that I reorganised SVN a bit to get rid of previous
> packaging attempts which are now obsolete since we are profiting from
> new build system.

Noted !
Thanks for reorganizing the files.

> The cowbuilder build works in the sense of creating the *.deb packages.

Great to hear.

I have yet to give it a shot.
I'll do so tomorrow morning.

> I think this is all fine so far.  I only found two issues:
>
>  1. There is nothing in /usr/bin - so I have no idea what to call and
>     there is also no explanation in README.Debian which might help the
>     user
>

>From the GTM point of view, this was to be expected.

I think this is due to the way in which GTM has traditionally
been organized.

Bhaskar, Amul, please correct me if I'm wrong...

All the files are installed in /usr/lib/fis-gtm/VERSION

Including executables.

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to move the executables
to /usr/bin, given that GTM scripts and executables already
expect to find things in /usr/lib/fis-gtm.

Bhaskar, Amul: could you please comment on this?

>  2. Lintian throws 267 runtime errors saying things like
>
> /bin/tar: ./usr/lib/fis-gtm/V5.5-000_x86_64/utf8/_D.m: Cannot open: Permission denied
> /bin/tar: ./usr/lib/fis-gtm/V5.5-000_x86_64/utf8/_PATCODE.m: Cannot open: Permission denied
> /bin/tar: ./usr/lib/fis-gtm/V5.5-000_x86_64/utf8/_GSE.m: Cannot open: Permission denied

mm, I'll have to track this tomorrow morning.
We were getting some Lintian warnings, but
they were not as many as 267. I'll run a fresh
build and will report back tomorrow.

>     IMHO this sucks and will probably result in a rejection because
>     lintian is run to seek for policy errors and if lintian throws
>     runtime errors something is probably so broken that ftpmaster
>     not consider looking at it.

Agree.

BTW, How about lintian warnings,
would that also be a showstopper ?