Re: Any progress with FIS GT.M?

Hi Andreas,

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
So please let me rephrase what needs to be done:

 1. Check out orig source using
      make -f debian/rules get-orig-source

Yes.

This will bring you the sources from the github repository.

(I presume that at some point, Bhaskar and/or Amul will
bless that code base, and maybe put it in a tar file in their
sourceforge distribution.  I know that Amul was already
moving some of the changes to their upstream version.

In any case: Yes. the command (1) will bring you the sources
in two tar files named:

fis-gtm_5.5-000+git104-g4077ab8-1.debian.tar.gz
fis-gtm_5.5-000+git104-g4077ab8.orig.tar.gz

 2. Use Build stuff in SVN to build the package

Yes.

I have been doing this with "debuild"
and have been adding "-d" because we are
using a very recent version of cmake (2.8.8).

I'm not sure how that affects the build in a
controlled environment...

Is this correct?  If yes I'd be very happy to do this and upload.

Thanks,
We will be crossing fingers  !    :-)

Question: It seems development is strongly focussed on Git.  It might
sound natural to move the packaging also into Debian Med git.  Do you
agree and if yes do we want to do this step before we upload or after?

We could go either way.
Whatever is more consistent with Debian practices.

Also if yes: If you regard the history of packaging as relevant would
you volunteer to move the packaging in SVN to Git (I'm no Git expert
I would only follow the instructions to create a new repository)?

I'm happy to help do this, just may need some guidance / mentoring.
on Debian Med Git rules.

Regarding the history... I don't think that we want to keep it for the
long run. Most of the work went into the CMakeLists.txt file, and that
was Brad and Amul working together. There was a lot of trial and
error experimentation in it.

Of course, Brad and/or Amul may have other preferences here.
I'm happy to defer to them on whether we want to keep the history.

     Luis