Re: eigensoft (containing eigenstrat) just uploaded to new queue

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 05:20:27PM +0100, Steffen Möller wrote:
> > IMHO an upload to experimental is simply hiding packages and I do not
> > like this at all if there are no strong reasons for this (like in the
> > ensembl case where you might crash your system (done that, been there)
> > when installing the package because of specific dependency only
> > available in experimental conflicting with other regular packages in
> > main.)
> I use experimental all the time

May I call you Kamikaze-Steffen? :-)

> (writing from a KDE 4.7.2 system)

Honestly (and off topic):  I wonder whether any program in experimental
could be so good that it saves so much time that it is finally a time
saving compared to the time you need to fix your system after a crash.
(Words said by somebody who does not even use 'unstable' but 'testing'
exclusively.)

> > So moving a package to experimental is keeping users away which should
> > test the package.
> >
> > Finally it creates additional work for ftpmaster once they are asked
> > to move the package from experimental to main.
> My perception of experimental is different.

Obviosely! :-P

> The package is not
> dangerous. But it is not ready for testing. I could live with unstable
> and a bug assigned to it to prevent its migration.

I would prefer this definitely over experimental in this case.

> > [1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMedTodo
> >
> I just had a look. It is ok, basically. To avoid adding to much to it,
> should we have a page for every package that wants to communicate with
> the public? Then [1] could have a section "for school kids" and give
> references to those more detailed descriptions.

I'm fine if this page is created and maintained by somebody else.