Re: eigensoft (containing eigenstrat) just uploaded to new queue

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 02:47:53PM +0100, Steffen Möller wrote:
> On 12/15/2011 01:24 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> >> The license is the typical "non-commercial" one. I spoke with
> >> Nick Patterson from upstream, a Debian user himself, who is happy
> >> with us redistributing their work.
> > Did he said that he will try to enhance the licensing issue?
> Rather the contrary.

Well, it is hard to tell what "the contrary" means to my question.
 a) Did he said just nothing?
 b) Did he said that is voting against a license change?
 c) Did he said that there is less chance for a change?

> >> The upload went to experimental.
> > Why?
> Because of the missing man pages mentioned below.s

Uhmmm, if any package with missing manpages would go to experimental
Debian would have a lot less packages in main - that's no reason at
all.

> Also,
> some gut feeling of mine wanted to wait for reactions from
> the build deamons.

I'm not sure whether build daemons are working on experimental at all.
IMHO an upload to experimental is simply hiding packages and I do not
like this at all if there are no strong reasons for this (like in the
ensembl case where you might crash your system (done that, been there)
when installing the package because of specific dependency only
available in experimental conflicting with other regular packages in
main.)

> Also, I was not sure if some of the example scripts should
> possibly move to /usr/bin in a more abstract form, i.e. the way
> I use them locally.

So moving a package to experimental is keeping users away which should
test the package.

Finally it creates additional work for ftpmaster once they are asked
to move the package from experimental to main.

> >> There is quite some documentation to read through, but no man
> >> pages. And I do not have the time to fix that. Some good soul
> >> adding a "-h" option to the tools and perform a help2man would
> >> be much appreciated. This could be something for an eventual
> >> Code-in project, I think, anyway, IMHO the package should not
> >> go to main without them.
> > HINT, HINT, HINT for newcommers who wonder what contribution they
> > could provide:  Use help2man to create some manpages.
> We should have a page with such educative time sinks and
> explicitly address the hidden talents on high schools with such.

We actually have such a page[1] but it is hard to maintain and as long
as there is no obvious sign that it is really attracting helpers I do
not mind maintaing it up to this detail of specific tasks single
packages.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMedTodo