Re: Prism build attempts

Comments below.

On 07/15/2011 11:09 AM, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011, Ira Kalet wrote:

I'm responding to Thorsten's attempt to build Prism in CLISP. It has
been done, but at this point you have to really know more about Lisp.

Ok, so I will help as far as I can and hope that there is a LISP expert
who can step in.

I guess I could be considered a LISP expert, though it does not seem so to me when I look at the work of the great ones :)

I will work on this - the basic problem is that defsystem thinks that
for CLISP the filenames should end in .lsp not .cl so it does not find
any of the source files.

I guess just renaming every *.cl to *.lsp would be not a god idea, right?

If you did, the package would not compile with ACL for the same reason...but it would work OK with CLISP then. There should be a way to rename the files in the install script, but this can't be 100% automatic, as the user might have more than one Lisp system installed...so which one should the install use? I think it is best for the install NOT to do any compiling or binary building, but include clear directions for the user, which would include renaming the files according to which lisp he/she uses. This is the normal practice with Lisp software, until the ANSI standard is revised to say something about it. Alternately, I could modify defsystem to be more clever...or write some simpler and better code than defsystem...maybe this will be reasonable once I reorganize the code into separate modules.

(...)

Ira