Re: License of Prism

Hi Ira,

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 10:14:11AM -0700, Ira Kalet wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply.  I noticed that PLUNC is also listed on the
> tasks page, appropriately enough, as it and Prism are about the only
> freely available RTP project codes.

Thanks for your comment which is always welcome because we need to relay
on the expertise of people working in this field.  If you might stumble
upon other free software which is at least related please drop us a
note.

> For two reasons, I would not advocate including any binaries in the
> package, only source code.  One is that we should avoid any indication
> that we are distributing a "medical device", per the FDA definition, as
> the FDA regulates the distribution of such software, whether or not you
> charge money for it.  The second is that binaries depend strongly on
> which Lisp compiler and runtime system you choose to create them, so it
> is best to let users choose their Lisp compiler and build their own.

I admit I never dealt with Lisp stuff so I can not comment on this.
However, there is probably a chance to ship the source and build the
binaries in a postinst script.  IMHO, this is probably not the right
moment to discuss those issues until somebody *really* starts working on
it.  (I would love if some volunteer would prove me wrong and starts
working on a package ...)

> How do I get added to the debian-med list?

You can subscribe at

   http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/

There are also archives of past discussions - so you can get some
feeling what usually is discussed here.

> Is this appropriate?  I am
> interested to keep informed about activities.

Thanks in your interest into Debian Med - we are very happy if experts
are watching our discussion and give useful hints.