Re: ubuntu backport on launchpad usage

Le Mon, May 30, 2011 at 10:49:01AM +0200, Olivier Sallou a écrit :

> 1) can we put a package, simply to get it available on current ubuntu
> version? (though deb package will be available on next ubuntu release).
> If yes, how do we manage it from version point of view ? If debian
> package has version xxx-2, on launchpad we should put xxx-2~lucid1 ?
>
> 2) How do we manage  changelog. Should we update svn changelog of the
> package to add a ~lucid1 (for example) in the history then send the
> package to launchpad, or should we get the source code, create a
> specific changelog for launchpad and then send the package?

Bonjour Olivier,

for the version numbers, I think that the main question is when the Ubuntu user
will upgrade to the next version, should the PPA package be replaced by the
official Ubuntu package ?  I think that it should be the case only when its
version is equal or greater.  So what I do for the packages I uploaded, which
are not only backports, is the following:

 - If it is a backport, add tilde, the suite name, and a number to increment
   later, like you proposed.

 - If it is a upstream version not packaged in Debian, start with -0 as
   revision number, like 2.2.5-0~natty1 for instance.

For the packages maintained wit Git, I keep branches for the PPAs, and this is
where the changelog lives.  Unless I pull changes from that branch, they will
not visible in the Debian changelog.  For packages maintained with Subversion,
I do not try to track them.  But if the passage through the PPA would be part
of the preparation of the next version for Debian, that would be completely
fine to commit them in the trunk.

Lastly, I uploadded a debhelper backport, but I hope it will be a rare
exception, and that the Debian Med PPA will contain almost exclusively packages
related to scientific and medical blends.  We have to remember that what we
upload there may get installed by mistake on the system of users to which we
recommented the PPA to access latest versions of our packages.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,