Re: ubuntu backport on launchpad usage

On 05/30/2011 10:49 AM, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> Hi,
> I have 2 questions on ubuntu backport on debian-med launchpad:
>
> 1) can we put a package, simply to get it available on current ubuntu
> version? (though deb package will be available on next ubuntu release).
> If yes, how do we manage it from version point of view ? If debian
> package has version xxx-2, on launchpad we should put xxx-2~lucid1 ?
Frankly, I don't care so much, mostly because I would make mistakes
if I tried to obey some particular scheme for that naming (like forgetting
the version suffix) and the damage is limited. Your
suggestion sounds just right, but the worst scenario is that only
version -3 of Debian gets in. If the package is functional, then it should
not matter. If the package is non-functional, then there should also
be an update of the version submitted to Debian.
> 2) How do we manage  changelog. Should we update svn changelog of the
> package to add a ~lucid1 (for example) in the history then send the
> package to launchpad, or should we get the source code, create a
> specific changelog for launchpad and then send the package?
I don't think that our repository should see the uploads to the PPA
in any way and suggest to just do the required changes to the
changelog locally and upload.

So, I suggest to go ahead a bit "unplanned" with the PPA and see
if we run into problems.

Many greetings

Steffen