Re: Status of InVesalius packaging (Was: Status of SIGAR (Was: InVesalius packaging))

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 11:45:38AM -0300, Thiago Franco Moraes wrote:
> Ah, that was my fault. I was only trying to package the java binding,
> only tests. I just forget to put ant in dependencies.

OK.

> >> - changelog doesn't list ITP bug number
> >
> > You should file a bug report against the virtual WNPP package - just
> > tell me if this hint is not enough and you need more detailed
> > information.
>
> I filled a bug report here

So you need to close the bug in the changelog - that's all.

> > So why not changing to libs?
>
> Michael did that.

Fine.

> >> - I saw that you build a shared lib of libsigar -- did you talk to
> >>  upstream about SO version management yet?
> >
> > That's a more interesting question.  So did anybody talked to upstream?
>
> About that no. And it something I don't have any knowledgment. I need
> some help here.

OK, this will be left to do.

> >> - debian.copyright is still a template
> >
> > Do you need help to fill in the text into this template?  If yes just
> > let us know.
>
> Yes, I need some help. Here
> http://forums.hyperic.com/jiveforums/thread.jspa?threadID=9833 I asked
> the sigar developers about copyright.

IMHO regarding copyright this is quite simple: Just look into the
COPYRIGHT file provided inside the upstream tarball and you know what
license they have.  But this forum thread obviosely discusses also the
SO version issue (without a reliable outcome anyway).

> > I have no idea whether this binding is actually needed for some purpose.
> > If not we might ignore this for the moment.  Otherwise it would be
> > interesting to know exactly what the exact problem was what you stopped
> > you.
>
> I don't have any experience with java.

Me neighter - but in case it would be needed for InVesalius we should
consult Debian Java team.  Could you please confirm whether Invesalius
needs the Java binding or not?

> I don't know what files are
> necessaries and how to test if the java sigar bindings is working.

> > Is there any reason not to use
> >
> >   git.debian.org/git/debian-med/sigar
>
> Because sigar is using github.

That's NO reason at all.  We are developing the packaging directory
debian/ which can be perfectly separated from the original source code.
Our SVN workflow does only store this in SVN (see Debian Med policy[1] -
you might like to store this document under your pillow ;-) ).  The Git
addicts keep a copy of the source code as pristine-tar import in the
repository (for reasons I did not fully understood but that should be
discussed somewhere else and its probably me who has to learn some
bits about Git - probably it is easier to create patches).

However, what we are changing is the debian/ dir plus patches we are
forewarding upstream.  It makes perfectly sense to have this stuff all
together in git.debian.org/debian-med and submit the patches to the
official upstream repository (but NOT the debian/ dir which does not
belong to the upstream source).

I now cloned the git repository from github and realised that there
is no debian/ dir which in turn I have found via

  dget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/817671/packages/sigar_1.7.0%7Esvn5287-1.dsc

Could anybody of you please make a proper clone of the current state
*including* the latest version of debian/ in git.debian.org?  I'm
also fine with just keeping the debian/ dir simply in SVN because
it seems not to be under Git control anyway.

When inspecting all this stuff I also realised that there is one stable
release of SIGAR which has version 1.6.4 and version 1.7 was (long = one
year ago) promised to be released.  I'd be in favour of packaging a
stable release - provided that this fits the requirements of our final
target InVesalius.  Could you please comment whether InVesalius would
build with SIGAR 1.6.4?  (Sorry if this was discussed previousely.)

[1] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html