Re: How to properly integrate cran2deb into Debian?

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:34:41PM +0000, Tony Travis wrote:
> If you want me to name some important Bioconductor packages I use then I
> suggest "simpleaffy" and its dependencies:
>
>   http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.6/bioc/html/simpleaffy.html

OK.  I'll take a look if time permits.

> Debian-Med has already helped me achieve my first objective and I'm very
> grateful for that.

I'm really happy that you see it that way!  However, for clarification
issues I'd like to be picky on the wording.  The help provided for your
objective was done by *people* who were working (NOT) by chance in the
Debian Med project and these were working on a larger community effort.
Very strictly speaking Debian Med is a Debian internal effort and as I
liked to point out the Bioconductor Debian packages are not in Debian,
will never be there except of those cherries we might pick and thus the
objective you had is an effort which is not part of Debian Med itself.

For sure we will continue to support your attempt and from a bio-medical
community forming point around Debian Med we are for sure very keen on
helping you.  I just considered the example above as a good way to
explain what Debian Med is (and what it is not).  So Debian Med is a
Debian internal effort which is driven by supporters who want to make
this system as good and as popular as possible.  We see your interest
and try to help you with all our skills and knowledge to make you keen
on using Debian Med (as a Debian subset) because you see that you can
run all your BioConductor stuff very easily on it.

> However, I must leave the task of deciding if
> Bioconductor packages are of sufficient general interest to include them
> in Debian Sid to other people. Many of us already install and use
> Bioconductor packages directly from R, and we accept their licences.

The license ist most probably fine in nearly all cases - it just needs
to be checked.