Re: Connecting those interested in getting GT.M intotheDebianrepositories

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 04:51:48PM -0400, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
>> IMHO as long as you are dealing with peoples names you always have to
>> respect non-ASCII characters even in pure English environments.
>
> [KSB] In the United States, it is common to pretend that there are no
> non-ASCII characters in names.

So a lot of immigrants are not spelled properly ... hmmm.

>> There are only "Build-Depends" (and no Build-Recommends) - so this is
>> simple.
>
> [KSB] I am a little confused as to what this means in practice.  Building
> GT.M will require ICU (libicu-dev), but this is so that the binaries can
> use ICU if it is installed.  Running GT.M does not require ICU unless an
> application wants to use UTF-8.

If you Build-Depend to libicu-dev and it happens that some binary file
in the resulting binary package depends from symbols provided in libicu*
then the control file variable

   Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}

will be expanded apropriately by the package building tools
automatically.  Only if libicu* provides stuff which can not be
automatically detected (and thus is not required) you need to mention it
explicitely and thus have a choice between Recommends and Depends.  So
most probably the discussion about this is moot anyway because the
packaging tools are supposed to handle this properly anyway.