Re: debian-med newbie seeks advice on where to place packages

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 06:46:47PM -0400, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> On 08/12/2009 06:34 PM, Michael Banck wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 03:33:44PM -0400, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
>>> as gcc binaries are required to compile gcc from source, GT.M
>>> binaries are required to build GT.M from source.
>>
>> That is fine - if GT.M is supposed to work with other architectures than
>> i386 or amd64 you will have to talk to the porters though, I guess.
>
> [KSB3] Leaving aside discussion of other architectures, even to
> bootstrap GT.M on x86 requires the binary.  So, if I create a Debian
> package for the source code, it will require GT.M (presumably from a
> Debian binary package of GT.M) to build a binary package.

That is understood.  Bootstrapping is really a standard procedure in
Debian these days.

The general procedure is that you create a source package which
Build-Depends on its own binary package, then use a binary from
whereever (you don't need a binary package here - just the appropriate
binaries in the PATH or otherwise accessible are fine) to build the
binary package from the source package, then rebuild the binary package
using the just-built binary package as Build-Depends to complete the
bootstrap.

Michael