Re: debian-med newbie seeks advice on where to place packages

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 03:55:43PM -0400, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> I manage GT.M (http://fis-gtm.com &
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/fis-gtm) and after many years of having
> GT.M on GNU/Linux available as FOSS (GPL v2 starting in 2001; AGPL v3
> since 2008), I am finally working in creating Debian packages for GT.M.

As I told you in my other mail: I really welcome your effort and will
try to be helpful as best as I can.

> We have been assigned "gtm" as a package name by lanana.org, and I am
> trying to figure out where I should place GT.M.  According to
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#OPTADDONAPPLICATIONSOFTWAREPACKAGES
> it appears that I should put it in subdirectories of /opt/gtm, but it
> could just as easily be argued that it belongs in /usr/local/bin/gtm.
> Any advice / opinions would be appreciated.

Things are well defined in Debian: Files will go to /usr (not /usr/local).
Architecture dependant files go to /usr/lib, architecture indepenant files
go to /usr/share, variable files (database content etc.) go to /var.

Klarmachen zum Ändern!