Re: debian-med newbie seeks advice on where to place packages

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:17:53AM -0400, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> On 08/12/2009 02:21 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 06:52:24PM -0400, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
>
> [KSB] <...snip...>
>
>> Two questions here:
>>
>>   1. Are you sure that there is a need to install binaries for more than
>>      one architecture on one maschine.  While this might be possible
>>      with multiarch support I do not think that it is really intended
>>      here and you might consider droping the architecture from the
>>      directory name.
>
> [KSB] While it will not be common to have both 32- and 64-bit GT.M on
> the same system, there are a few people who will want both.  If I
> consider that possibility now, it will make for less work later.

Debian does not currently support this, with the exception of some
toolchain-related cross-compilation packages.  People who absolutely
need two different architectures of GT.M installed on the same box could
use /opt or /usr/local for the non-native one, maybe.

> So, I  will sequence my work to create the 32-bit binary package
> first, then  the source package and then the 64-bit binary package.

The general workflow should usually be to create the source package
first, then build binary packages for the desired arches from it.

Michael