Re: debian-med newbie seeks advice on where to place packages

On 08/11/2009 05:01 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 03:55:43PM -0400, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:

[KSB] <...snip...>

Things are well defined in Debian: Files will go to /usr (not /usr/local).
Architecture dependant files go to /usr/lib, architecture indepenant files
go to /usr/share, variable files (database content etc.) go to /var.

Here is some background on GT.M configuration:

1. Multiple releases (or versions the terms are interchangeable) can and usually do coexist on the same system at the same time. So, we will have to use the version to identify each GT.M. So, we will need directories with names like .../gtm/V5.3-003_i686, .../gtm/V5.3-004_x8664, etc. [Note: the initial releases will all be i686 binaries; at some point after the sources are properly repackaged and released, there will also be x8664 binaries.]

2. GT.M is not one executable. Rather it is several: mumps, mupip, dse and lke are the main ones, but there are others. They all expect to reside in the same directory; otherwise they will not be happy.

My tentative conclusions:

1. I should use directories with names like /usr/lib32/gtm/V5.3-004_i686 each of which contains a complete GT.M release.

2. For log files, I should use directories with names like /var/log/gtm/V5.3-004_i686.

3. I should create executable files such as /usr/bin/mumps_V5.3-004_i686, which will contain something like:
  #!/bin/sh
  source /usr/lib32/gtm/V5.3-004_i686/gtmprofile
  /usr/lib32/gtm/V5.3-004_i686/mumps
There will be similar files like /usr/bin/mupip_V5.3-004_i686 for the other executables.

4. I should create symbolic links such as /usr/bin/mumps that point to /etc/alternatives/mumps which in turn will point to a file like /usr/bin/mumps_V5.3-004_i686.

5. Using the Debian alternatives system, I should provide alternatives to gtm so that /etc/alternatives/{mumps,mupip,dse,lke} are all switched at the same time to point to the selected GT.M version.

Some questions, please:

1. Does the directory layout above make sense?

2. Where can I find documentation on creating a configuration for the Debian alternatives system? All I have found so far is instructions on using it, not on setting up alternatives for use.

3. There is a small part of GT.M that must be owned by root and installed with the setuid bit on. Is there a special procedure for this or should I just do that in the postinstall script?

4. GT.M requires the ability to execute dynamically compiled code (it's a feature of the MUMPS language). To give GT.M this permission with SELinux, the usual installation of GT.M executes a command such as chcon -t texrel_shlib_t libgtmshr.so. But this presumes that SELinux is installed and operational. If SELinux is installed or configured later, this command will need to be run at that time. Is there a way to tell the Debian package manager, "if SELinux is installed or turned on, run this command"?

Thank you very much, in advance, for your help.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast.