debian-med newbie seeks advice on where to place packages

I manage GT.M (http://fis-gtm.com & http://sourceforge.net/projects/fis-gtm) and after many years of having GT.M on GNU/Linux available as FOSS (GPL v2 starting in 2001; AGPL v3 since 2008), I am finally working in creating Debian packages for GT.M. We have been assigned "gtm" as a package name by lanana.org, and I am trying to figure out where I should place GT.M. According to http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#OPTADDONAPPLICATIONSOFTWAREPACKAGES it appears that I should put it in subdirectories of /opt/gtm, but it could just as easily be argued that it belongs in /usr/local/bin/gtm. Any advice / opinions would be appreciated.

GT.M is an implementation of MUMPS, which is a tightly coupled language and database widely used in health care.

Thank you very much.

-- Bhaskar

--
GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast.