Re: debian package : VTK 5.2

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

dcmtk is AFAIK *un*officially maintained in debian-med, right ?

What do you mean by unofficially maintained?  The current maintainer
is not the Debian Med team but a single person (Jürgen Salk). Jürgen is reading this list (but seems to be occupied by other
jobs and thus does not show up very often here.  I jsut started
group maintenance in SVN but there was no need to upload when I
did this.  If now are reasons to upload the package we should do
so.  IF anybody could test the package I could do so.

I'm not sure it makes sense to have UNofficial packaging of anything
in debian-med.  Is that a common practice?

That's my question...

See my last mail ...

ok. but this is getting confusing:
insighttoolkit is in debian-med
teem/kwwidgets is in debian-science
vtk would be in scicomp

and slicer (which need vtk/itk/teem/kwwidgets) is in ... debian science :)

The confusion rises out of the understanding that a Blend (Debian Med
and Debian Science are Debian Pure Blends) is just about packaging.
In this case they would "compete" about which package belongs in their
repository.  But there are many packages which belong to both fields.
So a competition makes no sense.  We as the Debian Med team try to
care about any software that might be useful in medicine and one part
of this care is building Debian packages (OK, this is the main part
or our work).  For practical reasons we invented our own packaging
SVN but there is no handle to force a maintainer to really use this
SVN.  The connection to Debian Med is always done in the tasks files
of thedebian-med package.  If a package is mentioned there it is in
our scope - no matter where the packaging stuff is located.  The same
ist true for the Debian Science team.  The pkg-scicomp group is a
pure packaging team which is not interested in maintaining tasks files
and working on the Blends framwork.  The existence of this group has
caused a lot of confusion when starting Debian Science.  IMHO there
is no problem in which team a package is maintained - as long as this
team is functional and does a good job in maintenance of the *package*
A Blend does more than packaging: It builds metapackages and does
in some sense "metapackaging" - see the connection inbetween more
than single packages and builds a real framework for doing a certain
job.

oh well in the end it should work, the problem that I can see is
synchronization.

The synchronisation is done automatically.  The Blend tools are
working on the package that is in the Debian package pool (not in
SVN) so the synchronisation is based on existing packages.

Anyway Dominique Belhachemi says he would be trying my vtk package.
That would solve some issue as slicer requires some volumerendering
stuff from vtk 5.2

Dominique is doing a great job and the fact that he understood the Blends
principle is prooven because he reads both related lists, provides
valuable input and was even involved in the first steps to start
Debian Science Blend.