Re: Package "ownership" per team, and the use of `mr' to handle this.

> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 09:00:52 +0100 (CET), Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Hmmm, smells like you want to start a VCS flamewar. ;-)

This is not my intention as well, and I hope my reply does not lead to
that.

Am Montag, den 08.12.2008, 10:41 +0100 schrieb David Paleino:
> Argh, git! :)
> Ok, that would probably mean some learning period for me. I'm currently using
> SVN for all my personal projects, and am not really comfortable learning git --
> but hey, everyone's using that, kernel hackers are using that, we are going to
> use that, it *must* have something good :) [1]
>
> [1] (the only thing I saw about git over svn is *speed*...)

Sorry, but that you do not see the advantages does not mean they don't
exist. I'm a Git fanboy, and speed is surely not the only thing I care
about. [1] If SVN works for any developer, it should be used. But
sometimes it's simply not enough. VCS are tools to do a job, and if one
can do that job more effectively or efficiently, one should not have to
argue again and again why (s)he uses that tool. Git is the tool that
saves me a lot of time compared to working with SVN, so I use it. The
time gained is time I can spend on other things (in Debian), so me using
Git is for everyone's profit, even if everyone does not agree with my
choice of the VCS to use. The same applies to you using SVN.

Of course, noone should be forced to switch to a new VCS, but I did not
see anyone saying so in the discussion. DVCS have lots of advantages,
even if they are used in a centralized way. Actually, I use almost all
my repos in a centralized fashion. There is no contradiction in this.

What may be a problem is that there currently is no defined work-flow
for packaging using a DVCS but it seems to crystalize. The pkg-vcs group
has done quite a lot of experimenting/research already and patterns
emerge. Providing feedback to them what in your opinion did or did not
work would be a valuable contribution since almost everyone seems to be
very familiar with a DVCS already. The goal seem to be to find a
workflow that can be implemented in a tool that acts on the VCS used for
packaging; so one would not even see the SVN or Git or whatever is used
underneath. We're far from that yet. But until we're there, we'll just
have to live with the situation as is: People will chose whatever
satifies their needs best.

I'd like people to keep that in mind every now and then. A VCS is just a
tool. "I like $MYVCS, and all others suck" discussions lead to nowhere.

Best regards
Manuel

[1] I do not provide the points I care about because I think they do not
contribute to the point I am trying to make. If anyone is interested, I
can of course name them.