Re: Package "ownership" per team, and the use of `mr' to handle this.

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 09:00:52 +0100 (CET), Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Charles Plessy wrote:
>
> [..]
>
> > Solution B: migrate to a version control system that does not have such an
> >            overhead for tags.
>
> Hmmm, smells like you want to start a VCS flamewar. ;-)
> IMHO we should not rush really fast into this direction.  I'm currently start
> to sneak into git (with my personal "hello world"-package xteddy) and try to
> gather some experiences.  I'm afraid that several people will not really like
> to be forced to switch their VCS - at least it just drains some time to learn
> from people.

I've tried git with different teams -- and I feel really uncomfortable with it.
It really seems like "giving the pieces, and letting developers build their own
plane" [0] to me.

[0]

> > Problem with solution B is that typical alternatives to Subversion do not
> > have partial checkout facilities.
>
> I do not really understand what you mean with "typical alternatives to
> Subversion". IMHO we should switch to a DVCS (if we switch at all) which is
> perhaps not "typical" because Subversion is no DVCS.

I believe SVN could be kept -- just change the repository layout. Look at
pkg-perl: they have far more packages than us, but are using SVN. IMHO solution
A proposed by Charles is best: people don't have to learn another $vcs :)

> > As you may have guessed, it would probably be a good opportunity to switch
> > to git if we agree that it is worth the effort.
>
> If there is a consensus that might direct into "Solution B" I would propose a
> "soft migration path" which allows both repositories for a (perhaps long)
> transition period.  Debian Science also allows both.

Argh, git! :)
Ok, that would probably mean some learning period for me. I'm currently using
SVN for all my personal projects, and am not really comfortable learning git --
but hey, everyone's using that, kernel hackers are using that, we are going to
use that, it *must* have something good :) [1]

[1] (the only thing I saw about git over svn is *speed*...)

Just my (worthless probably) 0.02€,
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino