Re: Package "ownership" per team, and the use of `mr' to handle this.

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 16:54:17 +0100, Manuel Prinz wrote:

> > On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 09:00:52 +0100 (CET), Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > Hmmm, smells like you want to start a VCS flamewar. ;-)
>
> This is not my intention as well, and I hope my reply does not lead to
> that.

/me neither, and people knowing me could confirm this ;)

> Am Montag, den 08.12.2008, 10:41 +0100 schrieb David Paleino:
> > Argh, git! :)
> > Ok, that would probably mean some learning period for me. I'm currently
> > using SVN for all my personal projects, and am not really comfortable
> > learning git -- but hey, everyone's using that, kernel hackers are using
> > that, we are going to use that, it *must* have something good :) [1]
> >
> > [1] (the only thing I saw about git over svn is *speed*...)
>
> Sorry, but that you do not see the advantages does not mean they don't
> exist.

1) "[I] am not really comfortable learning git"
2) "it *must* have something good",
3) "the only thing I saw [..] is *speed*"

Am I saying git is bad? ;)

> I'm a Git fanboy, and speed is surely not the only thing I care
> about. [1]

I was referring to my own experience, and in some other mail I already stated
that I probably haven't used git at its full power (as also Andreas stated).

> [1] I do not provide the points I care about because I think they do not
> contribute to the point I am trying to make. If anyone is interested, I
> can of course name them.

I am, and I believe that naming the points pro-git is useful for the thread.

> [..] VCS are tools to do a job, and if one
> can do that job more effectively or efficiently, one should not have to
> argue again and again why (s)he uses that tool.

I'm not arguing, and I'm in favour of changing {D,}VCS, but only if that brings
notable profit to our current workflow. I don't think I'm wanting too
much! ;)

> [..] "I like $MYVCS, and all others suck" discussions lead to nowhere.

I don't believe I made such a statement, please don't generalize, thank you.

Kindly,
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino