Package "ownership" per team, and the use of `mr' to handle this.

Le Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 07:54:14AM +0100, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Charles Plessy wrote:
>
>> http://packages.debian.org/sid/mr
>
> I do fear for the social / strategical problem rather then the technical
> problem.  You can not fix by technical means that different repositories
> are used in the same scope.  People just will be confused and people who
> are confused (basically newcomers) will most probably not stumble upon
> this technical solution.

Hi Andreas,

Since the discussion starts, I will disclose my ideas before testing them :)
This is untested ideas that may lead nowhere. I will not propose Debian Med to
invest time in structural rearrangements before having tested my ideas and
discussed them better.

We accumulate a lot of stuff in the `tags' directories of our repository. It
does not take space in the central SVN database but it does on our hard drives,
to the point that it will start to annoy people who want to checkout
everything.

Solution A: change the structure of our repository, from
            "package/{trunk,tags,branches}" to "{trunk,tags,branches}/package".

Solution B: migrate to a version control system that does not have such an
            overhead for tags.

Problem with solution B is that typical alternatives to Subversion do not have
partial checkout facilities. This is why I would like to investigate `mr'. If
we have a structure of one repository per package, it is still possible to do
global commits using `mr' (with the big caveat that reverts seem like a pain
for the moment). I would then envision a common `mr' configuration file that
would itself be managed in the Debian Med repository. This configuration file
would allow global checkout and global commits witht the proposed structure:

packages/debian-med
packages/others-writeable
packages/others-read-only

We could then ask to teams like Debian Science or Debichem if we can refer to
their packages in packages/others-writeable or packages/others-read-only. It
should also be easy to ask `mr' to only check out packages/debian-med.

As you may have guessed, it would probably be a good opportunity to switch to
git if we agree that it is worth the effort. Nevertheless, the `mr' system
could also work with our current repository. This would actually provide some
kind of migration path.

None of this is tested yet, but I hope I can play on this during my vacations.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,