Re: Imported io-lib, a Staden library

On 8 Jul 2008, at 4:55 pm, James Bonfield wrote:

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 04:32:54PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
Ideally I'd like to rewrite the entire staden build system to use
something like autoconf (although maybe one of the newer alternatives
that isn't such a dogs breakfast when it comes to dynamic
libraries).

Sounds good.  I did not made bad experiences with autoconf - but
any modern system might do ...

Maybe I should just give up and embrace the libtool abomination like
the rest of the planet! It probably now works properly on the few
remaining systems that anyone still supports.

The last time I tried it, it still didn't work well on Tru64. Trying to compile any recent software that needs it on Tru64 is a nightmare (gtk 2.x, for example)

Having said that, I think you could probably justifiably drop support for Tru64 now - HP are no longer selling any Alpha hardware, so you can't buy a new Tru64 system, and although it was widespread in the genomics world, my impression is the vast majority of genomics sites that were on Alpha are doing what Sanger are doing and moving to Linux.

I think I heard of one that was moving to AIX, poor souls, but that's the only exception I can think of.

Tim

--
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.