Re: Imported io-lib, a Staden library

Hello Andreas,

I appreciate the problems with io_lib and the Staden Package, I really
do! It causes me no end of hassle too. Unfortunately like a lot of
things it's the usual fire-fighting scenario and never any time to
tidy up.

> Thanks.  I also had some trouble when I gave staden a try some time
> ago and that I want to add the remark that we should definitely try to
> settle down with one copy of io-lib inside Debian (either the separate
> or the one whic is in the staden tarball).  Moreover I want to repeat

If you wish to only have one copy io_lib then that's doable. You may
wish to change the build system to use dynamic libraries instead or
just face that the build of the staden package programs will be
statically linked.

Ideally I'd like to rewrite the entire staden build system to use
something like autoconf (although maybe one of the newer alternatives
that isn't such a dogs breakfast when it comes to dynamic
libraries). It should be easier now that we no longer support Mac
OS9. MS Windows is more mature with better posix style build
environments (eg MSYS/MinGW) and the systems we supported that didn't
have functioning libtools are now essentially dead.

Agreed on the io_lib name too - it's pretty atrocious, but I'm
assuming the name was picked (it predates my work on it) as it was
originally just an internal part of a larger package and not
distributed separately.

> Please consider sharing your work with the Debian community and
> if you think the currently existing stuff is "not good for you" just
> try it to tweak it into something that is good enough for you (and
> other people out there).

I think someone else was working on packaging up staden for a
debian-derived distribution. I'll have a dig through my mailbox to see
if I can recall who.

James

--
James Bonfield (jkb@sanger.ac.uk) | Hora aderat briligi. Nunc et Slythia Tova
                                  | Plurima gyrabant gymbolitare vabo;
  A Staden Package developer:     | Et Borogovorum mimzebant undique formae,
https://sf.net/projects/staden/   | Momiferique omnes exgrabure Rathi.