Re: DebConf report

Hi,
On Friday 29 June 2007 14:26:00 Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Tim Cutts wrote:
> > To be honest, I don't know much about debian-med at all.  I realise this
> > is very remiss of me.
> Perhaps it just needed some more advertisement from our side to make
> people realising Debian-Med ...

People around me are getting tired of SuSE. "Novell was not good for them.",
they say. The winner is kubuntu. I just had a meeting with the
administrators, none of them knew about Debian-Med albeit them being employed
in an institute having medical informatics in their name. They know about
Debian-Med now and are happy about its existance.

> > Sure, if we can find the time to do some of it.  :-)
>
> Well, time is a sparse resource - so Debian-Med is about sharing it
> inbetween people who are working in the same field.  If I understand sou
> right than you might have some interesting things more or less things
> nearly ready. Sharing this might be very welcome.

Sanger has one of the highest-flying names in Europe when it comes to Free
Software in Bioinformatics. The Debian bits should not be perceived as an
extra effort. These should bring relief. If Sanger could place a little note
here and there that the adoption of their software for mainstream Linux
distributions is just fine, then this is all that we should expect.

> BTW, I'm currently have a look at staden
>
>      https://sourceforge.net/projects/staden
>
> which is a little bit cumbersome in accepting that people might
> have installed things like zlib, libpng, tcl/tk etc on their box.
> It needs strange patching of variables.  Do you have by chance any
> experience (or anybody else).

We have EMBOSS now finding its way to Debian which should make Peter Rice
happy, who is (was?) also around at the Sanger/EBI/HGMP site. I am confident,
also thinking about the Web-service-based grid EMBRACE a bit, that over lunch
or so these people will discuss Debian and how a note about disseminating
their work over such Free channels will fit into their respective chapters of
their current and future EU applications. In that sense, my proper packaging
of Taverna has stalled but with the advent of an improperly packaged Maven it
should be fairly easy to come up with a same as improperly packaged Taverna,
too. "improper" means that the .jar files reside with the application and not
in /usr/share/java.

Tim, Frank, Charles ... and everybody else .. is anybody besides me going to
the ISMB next month in Vienna? I ran a Debian BoF at the ISMB '05 in Detroit
but was the only participant :o)

Many greetings

Steffen