Re: Suggestion for the Debian-Med website

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Charles Plessy wrote:

I think that this idea makes sense, especially in the global context of
custom debian distributions. Maybe we could think about generating pages
from the dependancies of the metapackages ?

Exactly this was the idea which was expressed at

   http://people.debian.org/~tille/cdd/ch-todo.en.html#s-visibility

In that case, we would lose the list of unofficial packages, as well as
the list of unpackaged software.

Not really.  My idea was to create a file using the syntax of
a packages file (at least the needed fields) that could be maintained
for the unofficial and unpackaged stuff.

For the unpackaged software, I came to realise that, at least in my
field, there is much more than expected. So in light of this, the
selection on our website does not make complete sense, as there is not a
lot of logic behind it.

The "logic" is quite simple:  If anybody had enough *interest* in a
software *and* enough *time* to package it, a package exists. :)

I think that unpackaged software can be better
handled on the wiki. We should not forget that if the translations are
painful, then it is better to focus on what is the most useful, and not
try to be comprehensive.

On the other hand I agree with you that maintaining the not yet packaged
stuff in a Wiki might be simpler than my proposal of the faked Packages
file.

An good exception to this would be the software which we intent to
package. For this, one may think about a mechanism which would get a bug
number as input and parse the corresponding ITP.

I also had this idea and it should be doable because thanks of the
WNPP tagging we can quite easily detect the relevant WNPP bugs.

If we would adopt this sytem, then it could make sense to simply file
ITPs for the programs which are already unofficially pacakged, and feed
this in a similar list.

This way, we could build pages similar to the ones we have, but more
automatically.

This is exactly what I think.  The only problem of this idea is that
we need some volunteers to do the work.  Perhaps we should do another
effort on the debian-custom list (where it belongs).  The problem is
that people hanging around there seem to concentrate more on Live-CD
building etc. than on such kind of grunt work which is "just for
documentation"...