Re: Suggestion for the Debian-Med website

Le Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 10:17:59AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> This brings back my long standing not very high priority item at my
> TODO-list: Genereate WML snippets from package descriptions and thus
> build the web pages automatically (at least for the official packages).

Hi all,

I think that this idea makes sense, especially in the global context of
custom debian distributions. Maybe we could think about generating pages
from the dependancies of the metapackages ?

In that case, we would lose the list of unofficial packages, as well as
the list of unpackaged software.

For the unpackaged software, I came to realise that, at least in my
field, there is much more than expected. So in light of this, the
selection on our website does not make complete sense, as there is not a
lot of logic behind it. I think that unpackaged software can be better
handled on the wiki. We should not forget that if the translations are
painful, then it is better to focus on what is the most useful, and not
try to be comprehensive.

An good exception to this would be the software which we intent to
package. For this, one may think about a mechanism which would get a bug
number as input and parse the corresponding ITP.

If we would adopt this sytem, then it could make sense to simply file
ITPs for the programs which are already unofficially pacakged, and feed
this in a similar list.

This way, we could build pages similar to the ones we have, but more
automatically.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy