Re: Suggestion for the Debian-Med website

On Wednesday 04 October 2006 21:32, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Tobias Toedter wrote:
> > What do you think?
>
> Well, *personally* I'm no friend of Wikis which might be because
> I'm a little bit conservative.  So this should be no reason to
> stop you and it might turn out that it works.  So if you as the
> person who had done the most work on our Web pages I think the
> decision is yours.

Hm, I think the decision needs to be based on the community's support --
otherwise, my workload would not go down ;-)

You're right that the openness of a wiki might attract spam, but I think
that this can be handled quite good. In general, the wiki concept works.

> Is there any system that ensures that the translations for the
> languages we have currently translations for stay in sync when
> we use the Wiki technique?

Well, it's not as easy as it is currently on the webpages. We would loose
the automatic content negotiation. Apart from that, nothing stops
translators to maintain their translation on the wiki. However, I don't
think that this will happen. Please note that the translations are already
barely in sync, one translator has even removed his translation because of
the highly technical terms on that page (microbio). And I think he is
right, that's definitely a hard page to translate. So we're already
beginning to loose translations.

Before the move to wiki.debian.org, I would contact the translation teams of
the existing translations and ask them to extract their translations and
re-use them for the DDTP, since most of the package descriptions are taken
directly from the debian/control file.

Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Toedter   | Hurewitz's Memory Principle:
Hamburg, Germany |     The chance of forgetting something is directly