Re: Suggestion for the Debian-Med website

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Tobias Toedter wrote:

Hm, I think the decision needs to be based on the community's support --
otherwise, my workload would not go down ;-)

You're right that the openness of a wiki might attract spam, but I think
that this can be handled quite good. In general, the wiki concept works.

Well, I'm not converned about SPAM.  I'm active in WikiPedia (you see,
I'm not in every case against Wikis) and know that this problem can
be handled.  Moreover I do not see the Debian-Med pages as a valuable
SPAM target.  I see the probem in your first sentence: I do not expect
much more input than we currently have and that it is just you who
switches from CVS to a Wiki.  (I really hope that my expectation is
wrong!)  IMHO, our community is currently to small for a Wiki.

Well, it's not as easy as it is currently on the webpages. We would loose
the automatic content negotiation. Apart from that, nothing stops
translators to maintain their translation on the wiki. However, I don't
think that this will happen. Please note that the translations are already
barely in sync, one translator has even removed his translation because of
the highly technical terms on that page (microbio). And I think he is
right, that's definitely a hard page to translate. So we're already
beginning to loose translations.

Yes, I'm aware that the translations are currently not in the best state,
but at least we have some translations.  I'm concerned about loosing
translations at all if we switch to Wiki.

Before the move to wiki.debian.org, I would contact the translation teams of
the existing translations and ask them to extract their translations and
re-use them for the DDTP, since most of the package descriptions are taken
directly from the debian/control file.

This brings back my long standing not very high priority item at my
TODO-list: Genereate WML snippets from package descriptions and thus
build the web pages automatically (at least for the official packages).
(I even started some coding but that was not much more than tests how
to parse a Packages file.)  So my preference would be to solve the
issue with other tools than a Wiki but if you think a Wiki is the
best choice for the moment until somebody comes up with the technique
of automatical building some pages - I will not stop you.