Re: Hi ..

On Fri, 5 May 2006, Julio [iso-8859-1] César León Cuya wrote:

I am also a physician with some ( please read: minimal ) IT expertise who sat
comfortably idle in the background of the list. I was slowly trying to build
up my programming skills while working in my full time job - we all know how
much time consuming a thing like this could be. I take the freedom to share
my thoughts ( some might say "ruminations" ), "riding" on coleage Ahmar mail,
just to deliver some start points that a medical doctor/student should try
IMHO to learn before commiting with debian in particular, and free software

Nice to have such members on the list.

reading the installations scripts inside the debs, I *think* I understand
them. I personally recommend Python and Tcl/Tk. Yes, maybe they are not the
best choices,

There is no best choice for a language, but there are often languages
that are apropriate for a certain problem.  Python has proven to be
apropriate in several fields and I would like to recommend this.  I
would personally hesitate to recommend Tcl/Tk.  Most of the Tcl/Tk programs
I know have an ugly user interface and I would regard it as suboptimal
for your purpose.

- And the last thing a medical guy should learn is to program in C. To me it
is esotherism, but some day I think I can retribute with my efforts to the
community.

You listed a lot of interesting points I have nothing to add for the
moment.  An learning C should be really the *last* thing if you did all
the other things - IMHO its not really a requirement and may be you
spend your time on more interestings things and ask somebody else if
some parts of your code need to be rewritten in C.