Re: Hi ..

El Jueves, 4 de Mayo de 2006 13:25, Steffen Möller escribió:
> A "hi!" from my side, too.
>
> A subscription to Debian-Med is certainly a good idea. I do not know about
> how much you personally are an IT person besides your medical education. My
> experience says that there are some bi-educated people around but even for
> these the adaptation of software for local needs is problematic - and if it
> is only that they need to work and write bills from day one and that they
> do not have the time to elaborate on the parallel installation of another
> system.
>
> A way around this may be the involvement of a local Linux Users group, a
> group of students, maybe together with some unemployed people for
> (self-paced) training, that could set up and maintain a system for your
> surgery(?) to your specification. Maybe the person who indicated Debian to
> you has some more ideas on how to bring Debian-Med's software to life at
> your place. You might want to read Debian-Med only as an educational
> summary of what is available and would need to specify the gap towards
> something that you could use productively. Feedback to the list I am
> certain to be much appreciated.
>
> Best regards
>
> Steffen

Hi all
I am also a physician with some ( please read: minimal ) IT expertise who sat
comfortably idle in the background of the list. I was slowly trying to build
up my programming skills while working in my full time job - we all know how
much time consuming a thing like this could be. I take the freedom to share
my thoughts ( some might say "ruminations" ), "riding" on coleage Ahmar mail,
just to deliver some start points that a medical doctor/student should try
IMHO to learn before commiting with debian in particular, and free software
in general:

- Assume you know nothing. Not a humble token, just a recognition of the
enormous amounts of time we all at the medicine faculty employ studying
medicine. We have almost no time to study other thing. I learned how to
compile a kernel by reading the howtos in my coffee breaks ... along six
months.
- Learn to install a debian system, and feel comfortable with it. I guess a
lot of guys will disagree with this one particularly at this time that the
d-i is so user friendly (wew, I hate these words...)  but, well, this step
took a lot of time to me to teach to a fellow student without boring him,
thus converting free software in an infectious disease.
- Try to cooperate with a translation team. There is always a job in this one,
and besides polishing your trans language skills, you can get a primer in a
quasi - programming language - i.e. docbook and friends.
- Learn a scripting language: I had a lot of trouble with bash, but after
reading the installations scripts inside the debs, I *think* I understand
them. I personally recommend Python and Tcl/Tk. Yes, maybe they are not the
best choices, but I can't identify what is getting in my way to learn php or
perl. Maybe I was not born to grasp them.
- Feel comfortable with a Database System. They are so usefull. I can still
remember fellows shaking their heads againts the monitor using "that"
spreadsheet for data crunching. Nobody taught them that a DATAbase system if
for DATA processing. Some how I like PostgreSQL. I'm still trying to
understand how triggers works. Don't forget the front end: I seldom use kexi
or oooBase, but they look nice.
- Narrowing to our stuff: browse the source of gnumed. It is great, despite I
just can grab an infinitessimal part of it. By the way, I think wxPython is a
great piece of work. You can single handedly build a nice front end for
whatever you like even without getting the object orientation concept. Still
a mystery to me...
- And the last thing a medical guy should learn is to program in C. To me it
is esotherism, but some day I think I can retribute with my efforts to the
community.

hopefully these tips can be usefull to other comfortably idle guys out there.
And sorry with my awfull english. I'm peruvian, and not that proficient with
this language.

Cheers