Re: pkg-eScience - packing Taverna and MyGrid for Debian

Hi Charles,

> > For Debian the challenge is for one the dissemination of these skills to
> > researchers. On a technical level it means the extension of the Java
> > packages to those that come distributed as Jar files with the upstream
> > sources. The Taverna package is usable already. Its major problem are
> the
> > 3rd party jar files that are distributed with Tavera thus rendering the
> > package to be non DFSG-compliant, prohibiting its addition to the main
> > distribution.  Another longer term challenge is the eventual integration
> of
> > Debian's bioinformatics packages to extend the MyGrid services available
> for
> > MyGrid today.

> There is something I did not understand about Taverna: is it only for
> programs written in Java, and do the programs have to be written
> explicitely for Taverna?

no, one needs some wrapper and descriptions for Taverna, the communication
can happen via web services and anything else that one can parse. Any
Debianisation efforts of Taverna are in my personally planning not due any
earlier than 6 months from now, (something very close to) DFSG-compliance
comes first for me (still).

> I have been listing many packages relevant to bioinformatics, and a fair
> number are written in Java. If they can be used through Taverna, just
> tell me what are the relevant informations you need, and I will submit a
> summary.
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScienceBiology

A brilliant idea. Thanks!

> However, Java is Terra Incognita for me, and I am already busy packaging
> multiple alignment software, so I will keep focusing on alignment. This
> leads me to a question: you are the maintainer of t-coffee, and the new
> release introduces a new tool, m-coffee, that I would like to see in
> Debian. If you want to concentrate on you new project, I can submit an
> upgrade for t-coffee within one or two months.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2006/04/msg00007.html

I thought of waiting for my acceptance as a DD until I prepare more
packages. It should not take _that_ much longer. Thank you for your offer.
We can well collaborate on the bioinformatics packages, maybe we should
think of some collaborative maintenance via some svn repository.

All the best

Steffen