Re: Staden Package and trev, its sequence viewer.

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Charles Plessy wrote:

EMBOSS, is a set of unix-style general commands, and Staden is more
oriented towards the analyis of raw sequences, and provides a GUI. I
think that both are very important. If I had to prioritise, I would
simply chose the one requiring the least work.

Exactly.  I was not arguing based on the functionality but on the
things to do to make progress in integrating into Debian.

Both packages are open-source alternatives to non-free software. EMBOSS
replaces GCG [1], which is costly and closed, and Staden can sometimes
substitute for consed [2], which is free for academics and expensive for
the others.

[1] http://www.accelrys.com/products/gcg/
[2] http://www.codoncode.com/

Perhaps we should mention these URLs in the description on our
web pages.

Some part of Staden is also present in Fink (unfortunately, it is a
library only).

http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/iolib

can it be easily ported to Debian ?

... if somebody would take over the packaging - why not?