Re: Staden Package and trev, its sequence viewer.

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Michael Jeltsch wrote:

Staden is something very big, and packaging it may not be
straigtforward. On the other hand, I think that its presence in Debian
would be very rewarding.

I totally agree.

I don't know Staden, but if two people are thus engaged it might mean
something.  Prehaps we should set it higher in priority than EMBOSS.
(I admit I'm alittle bit depressed about the silence of Matt Hope
to all my requests of the status of the EMBOSS package.  It does not
help at all if there are non maintained inofficial packages laying
around "anywhere".  I would love to have this situation fixed, but
if there is more interest in Staden it might reasonable to set
preferences here.)

I again totally agree. Packaging Staden for (K)ubuntu has been on my
to-do-list for over half a year. Staden (and Skype) are the only reasons I
still use SuSE 9.3 instead of Kubuntu.

Is there an RPM for Staden (URLs?).  It often is helpful to have a look
at [S]RPM before building a Debian package.  Regarding (K)Ubuntu: This
is nothing against Ubuntu, but I would prefere if we could get a software
in Debian *first* and than just recompile for Ubuntu.  This would be
helpful to decrease the Ubuntu-Debian - diversion.

The precompiled binaries are relatively easy to install without any package

... but just not helpful in our case.

manager and just minor adjustments have to be done to .profile, etc. I am
mainly interested in the KDE integration as the (K)ubuntu concept discourages
the use of the command line and my experience is that most molecular
biologists are unwilling to use it. Since I only have experience in KDE
integration and don't know anything about gnome my hypothetical package (if
it ever gets ready) will only have the GUI integration for KDE. Additonally I
have no idea how to make Debian/(K)ubuntu packages from binary sources, but I
should be able to figure that out. If anybody knows any good how-to I'd
appreciate a link!

I'm sorry there is no link to just package precompiled binary software
for Debian.  It just does not fit the Debian concept to have packages
for different architectures.