Re: Staden Package and trev, its sequence viewer.

On Friday 10 February 2006 01:56, Charles Plessy wrote:

> Staden is something very big, and packaging it may not be
> straigtforward. On the other hand, I think that its presence in Debian
> would be very rewarding.

I totally agree.

> Definitely, packaging Staden does not look like something for beginners.
> But as a molecular biologist, I can help with testing the packages with
> some real-life data of mine.

I again totally agree. Packaging Staden for (K)ubuntu has been on my
to-do-list for over half a year. Staden (and Skype) are the only reasons I
still use SuSE 9.3 instead of Kubuntu.

Packaging Staden appeared to be a mess and even with help of the (only
remaining) developer James Bonfield I couldn't sort out everything when I
tried to package it for SuSE 9 & 10. Finally I made a KDE-integrated RPM
package from the precompiled binaries which worked quite well, but even then
there are some strange things which I just ignored in the end (e.g. Yast2
complains about missing libs which are not needed anywhere...).

The precompiled binaries are relatively easy to install without any package
manager and just minor adjustments have to be done to .profile, etc. I am
mainly interested in the KDE integration as the (K)ubuntu concept discourages
the use of the command line and my experience is that most molecular
biologists are unwilling to use it. Since I only have experience in KDE
integration and don't know anything about gnome my hypothetical package (if
it ever gets ready) will only have the GUI integration for KDE. Additonally I
have no idea how to make Debian/(K)ubuntu packages from binary sources, but I
should be able to figure that out. If anybody knows any good how-to I'd
appreciate a link!

--
Michael Jeltsch
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki