Re: Re: LinuDent and tk_fp and odontolinux

> There has been conversation between me Steven G. (LinuDent)
> and Alex (TkFP) from the beginning of the tcl/tk version of
> LinuDent. LinuDent borrows most of it's structure and much code
> from TkFP.
This is good news which I didn't know. I am very impressed
with Dr. Caldwell's work. TkFP, Vista and AccessGP are those
open projects that can really claim to have accomplished
something in the real world.

> 1. LinuDent is meant to be lightweight - only a few megs to download
I am now 3 Megs into a download of TkFP and I guess anything
up to 10-15 MB might be acceptable anyways ?

> 3. Linudent base install will not need a database setup -
> (newbies and not-so-newbies sometimes have difficulty setting
> up sql database engines for the first time ;-))

While being easy to use for newbies is a very laudable goal
isn't this requirement a hindrance sometimes ? I mean, being
able to function without a database is probably a good thing
for evaluation purposes but what about the long run ?
Shouldn't setting up the thing be the task of someone skilled
in the business (maybe the skilled user, maybe a
professional).

> I am quite open to changing LinuDent so that more people could use it with two provisos:

> 1. I would continue to use tcl/tk. (There is a object oriented extension call itcl, which is included in tclkit)
I meant to say: OO by design not by extension (and no, besides
harbouring other evils, Perl 5 doesn't qualify in this regard,
either; Python does, Ruby does from what I hear, and of course
a bunch of "real" languages such as Java, C++ and Eiffel do).

> 2. I would not have a browser based interface to start with.
Ah, good :-)   Makes for a warm fuzzy feeling. I invite
anyone who argues in favour of web frontends to come sit in
with me on a busy round of seeing patients using my current
commercial system. Afterwards they'll think afresh how the
needed convenience can be delivered over HTTP.

Regards,
Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346