Re: Re: LinuDent and tk_fp and odontolinux

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> This is good news which I didn't know. I am very impressed
> with Dr. Caldwell's work. TkFP, Vista and AccessGP are those
                                  ^^^^^
I wished someone would be brave enough to build vista_*.deb ...

> > 3. Linudent base install will not need a database setup -
> > (newbies and not-so-newbies sometimes have difficulty setting
> > up sql database engines for the first time ;-))
>
> While being easy to use for newbies is a very laudable goal
> isn't this requirement a hindrance sometimes ? I mean, being
> able to function without a database is probably a good thing
> for evaluation purposes but what about the long run ?
> Shouldn't setting up the thing be the task of someone skilled
> in the business (maybe the skilled user, maybe a
> professional).
The task of setting up a database should be done by your operating
system.  That's why we are working on Debian-Med that all fits well
into the operating system.  OdontoLinux works (almost) well with
the PostgreSQL installation on Debian GNU/Linux.  The "almost" above
is the point:  I just observed a bug in packaging (a missing user
in the database structure) which the author had overseen because
he has this user in his setup of course.  This is the reason for
Debian-Med: Make installation smooth and bug free and let authors
make the best technical choice - which is a database.

> I meant to say: OO by design not by extension (and no, besides
> harbouring other evils, Perl 5 doesn't qualify in this regard,
> either; Python does, Ruby does from what I hear, and of course
> a bunch of "real" languages such as Java, C++ and Eiffel do).
Please - no flamewars about OO or not OO.  I really like ANSI C
and hate such stuff like C++.  I have my reasons and you has
yours - but I have no time to fight flamewars about such stuff.
I just care about (DFSG-)free = releasebale or not because this
is our concern.
(This was my official opinion.  My very personal opinion about
Tcl/Tk: Does the world really need YASL = Yet Another Scripting
Language??? But do not flame me about my personal opinions which
I would never use as an argument if someone writes fine software!)