Re: E-Mail connectivity for doctors

>> Sounds reasonable, especially since data files would have to
>> be updated in a timely manner anyways.
> This could be done in two different ways:
>   - The maintainer has to care about updates of the installer package.
>     This would be quite hard, because users will normally run the
>     stable distribution and stable allows only security fixes which
>     would not really fit our target.
Updating virus definitions clearly _is_ a security fix as it
decreases vulnerability of a system.

>     The alternative would be a
>     separate apt-get - able archive.
This is to be desired. However, I wonder if they had any
objections. (I know, I need not wonder. I merely need to ask
them.)

>   - Install a cron job which regularly checks f-prot homepage.
>     There is a utility named "uscan" which is able to scan
>     upstream hosts for new versions according to a regular expression.
>     I recently heard that it works perfectly but did not try myself.
Any URLs ?

>> Another main reason for mentioning f-prot was that a) their
>> engine is very good as far as I can tell (it used to be good
>> many years ago already) and ) it natively runs on Linux.
> Well, so anybody want's to do the job?
> It's not the kind of job for people like me who do not have any
> used DOS/Win partitions which are target for those stupid viruses ;-)).
Also very useful for shared data space such as via Samba.

Do you think we might run into problems because f-prot isn't
free (as in beer) for commercial use ?

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346