Re: jessie-updates gone

Hi Matus,

On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 08:17:54PM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> >On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 03:09:03PM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> >>On 02.04.19 10:59, Andy Smith wrote:
> >So are you really saying that your proposed solution is just to tell
> >people who aren't currently reading announcements and are not running
> >check-support-status to try harder?
>
> I'm trying to say that people using LTS should not notice ot of nothing that
> the -updates archive is now gone.  That should happen after LTS is over.

Sure but you are aware that every Debian user becomes an LTS user
when <distro>-updates stops being a source of point releases and
further updates end up in <distro>/updates, right?

I am not talking about telling *LTS* users anything. I am asking how
is an uninformed user of Debian supposed to know that they are no
longer supported by Debian, but only by LTS? That they have in fact
*become* an LTS user?

In this instance they got the hint because jessie-updates went away.
The proposal is to not make jessie-updates go away but instead just
empty it. Then these users will not get informed.

While there is no proposal on how to get the word to these users, I
would argue it is best to continue removing <distro>-updates when it
is done with.

I would rather there was a better way to communicate with users
though, that does not require them to subscribe to mailing lists or
run optional commands.

As to the separate issue of whether to keep an empty
<distro>-updates to silence complaints from "apt update", I don't
really care either way. I use config management so removing it
everywhere is pretty trivial. :)

Cheers,
Andy