Re: jessie-updates gone

Hello,

On Mon, Apr 01, 2019 at 03:50:05PM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 01.04.19 13:40, Holger Levsen wrote:
> >this is gone:
> >
> >deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main
>
> formerly volatile.
>
> We have asked if it's going to be re-added, even if empty, to avoid people
> using jessie from seeing errors when updateing package lists.
>
> do I have to fill a bugreport to get it back?

I do understand that re-adding an empty jessie-updates directory
will silence a lot of warnings from apt update, and thus would avoid
the questions from end users that I have seen in a lot of places,
but… I can't help thinking that although it is bad that these users
were confused, at least they now understand that the level of
support has changed.

Is there not a risk in future that these people will merrily go on
using an empty buster-updates without ever realising that they are
using a distribution with updates only from the LTS project?

I don't know what the answer is other than having apt itself show a
warning about the levels of support changing, but until we work out
a better solution, isn't having the <dist>-updates suite go away at
least a final chance to get the user's attention?

How about a package update at the cut-over point with a NEWS
changelog saying something like, "this distribution is now only
supported by LTS; you should upgrade to continue to enjoy the usual
level of support. For more information about the LTS project please
see: https://…"; ?

Cheers,
Andy