Re: jessie-updates gone

Hi Matus,

On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 03:09:03PM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 02.04.19 10:59, Andy Smith wrote:
> >The alternative is that those users continue using Debian without
> >realising that their packages stopped being supported by the
> >maintainers and security team and are now supported by LTS alone.
>
> this should happen when LTS is over, not before.
> also, there's check-support-status for unsupported packages.

Sorry I am not sure I follow. Miroslav said, "led thousands of users
to ask themselves what was wrong with their apt update". I cannot
personally say that I saw thousands, but I did see tens (some of
which are my users that I support), which suggests there are quite a
lot more of these users that we don't see.

You understand that these users do not currently read the
announcements about support life times and do not currently run
check-support-status, right? Otherwise they would not have been
confused about what happened with jessie-updates.

So are you really saying that your proposed solution is just to tell
people who aren't currently reading announcements and are not running
check-support-status to try harder?

I can't help thinking that this will not be effective in reaching
any of those users.

So the situation remains that either these uninformed users will be
complained at about <distribution>-updates by "apt update", or else
they will continue to use <distribution> without knowing that it is
no longer supported by package maintainers and security team.

Which outcome is worse, for those users?

When you say, "this should happen when LTS is over, not before" are
you saying that you don't feel it is important that people know when
support passes from maintainers+security to LTS alone, only when
even LTS has ended?

If so then I'm afraid I don't agree. Speaking as one of the LTS
sponsors I think it is important that users know what Debian LTS is,
how it is funded and what its limitations are. Otherwise people
will, by human nature, just assume it is still supported the same.

Cheers,
Andy