Re: proposed removal of Enigmail from jessie/LTS

On 2018-12-19 21:22:21, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> Hi Antoine,
>
> On 19/12/2018 18:25, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
>> On 2018-12-19 17:03:26, Holger Levsen wrote:
>>> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 11:40:07AM -0500, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> I've now also re-read this thread (for the 2nd time today..) and first
>>> I'd like to notice that all the concerns were only brought up in the
>>> last week, so it was definitly right from you to work on this for those
>>> months. Second, it now reads to me as if Emilio changed his mind after
>>> expressing concerns on Dec 14th, he indeed replied much more favorably
>>> on the 18th.
>>
>> Thanks for your message, I'm relieved and happy to get support from
>> you. :)
>
> I'm sorry if my comments caused your frustration. I think you have done an
> amazing job getting all this work done. I just think we need to try and balance
> the goal of supporting all packages that we can, versus the risk or causing
> regressions in important stuff.

You're right. Sorry I might have overreacted - I am going through some
intense family issues right now and I might be a little jittery. :)

>>> I mostly worried that you didnt test all dependent packages and that we
>>> essentially might break those when trying to support a package no
>>> customer has expressed need for. But then I also suppose such breakage
>>> could be fixed...
>>
>> So I was mostly concerned about libgcrypt dependencies, and in
>> particular cryptsetup, and smoke tests seems to go through okay
>> there, for what that's worth...
>
> cryptsetup is definitely one of the main rdeps.  Also libgcrypt20 is used by
> systemd, ntfs-3g. There's also libssh, which is used by e.g. qemu, php-ssh2,
> libcurl...
>
> That doesn't mean we can't upgrade it. It just means it's an important package
> and the risk is higher due to its wide use and because of the extensive changes.
> Just need to be extra careful.

Right.

>>> and now we are back to square one :/
>>
>> Not really. We're actually at square N-1, we just need to do that one
>> final jump to get in the "let's actually support that newer version"
>> game. :p
>>
>> Should we pursue this? Are there any other packages that should be
>> tested?
>>
>> Would love other people's opinion as well...
>
> Maybe some of the other rdeps. libssh test suite (if it has one), systemd...
> However in the end it will come down to whether you feel confident to push that
> out or think it's better to stay put.
>
> Whatever you decide, I'll do my best to help in any way I can.

That's great! :) Unfortunately I'm running out of time this month - I
have a measly 2-3h left this month and holidays are coming up so I don't
know if I'll be able to complete this before the new year.

A.
--
Celui qui ne connaît pas l'histoire est condamné à la revivre.
                        - Karl Marx