Re: proposed removal of Enigmail from jessie/LTS

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 05:03:26PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> I mostly worried that you didnt test all dependent packages and that we
> essentially might break those when trying to support a package no
> customer has expressed need for. But then I also suppose such breakage
> could be fixed...

But the very basic idea of a LTS release is to avoid the risk of
breakage. If suddenly all kinds of core libraries are getting
updated in jessie (with minimal testing) I'd need to run extensive
tests when deploying this change sensibly and if such extensive tests
are needed, I could just as well upgrade to stable.

We'd never do such a change in a regular oldstable/stable either.

EOLing enigmail seems the only sensible option by far. After all,
there's a solid alternative if there's actually remaining Enigmail
users on jessie; upgrading to Stretch.

Cheers,
        Moritz