Re: proposed removal of Enigmail from jessie/LTS

Hi Antoine,

On 19/12/2018 18:25, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> On 2018-12-19 17:03:26, Holger Levsen wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 11:40:07AM -0500, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
>> [...]
>> I've now also re-read this thread (for the 2nd time today..) and first
>> I'd like to notice that all the concerns were only brought up in the
>> last week, so it was definitly right from you to work on this for those
>> months. Second, it now reads to me as if Emilio changed his mind after
>> expressing concerns on Dec 14th, he indeed replied much more favorably
>> on the 18th.
>
> Thanks for your message, I'm relieved and happy to get support from
> you. :)

I'm sorry if my comments caused your frustration. I think you have done an
amazing job getting all this work done. I just think we need to try and balance
the goal of supporting all packages that we can, versus the risk or causing
regressions in important stuff.

>> I mostly worried that you didnt test all dependent packages and that we
>> essentially might break those when trying to support a package no
>> customer has expressed need for. But then I also suppose such breakage
>> could be fixed...
>
> So I was mostly concerned about libgcrypt dependencies, and in
> particular cryptsetup, and smoke tests seems to go through okay
> there, for what that's worth...

cryptsetup is definitely one of the main rdeps.  Also libgcrypt20 is used by
systemd, ntfs-3g. There's also libssh, which is used by e.g. qemu, php-ssh2,
libcurl...

That doesn't mean we can't upgrade it. It just means it's an important package
and the risk is higher due to its wide use and because of the extensive changes.
Just need to be extra careful.

>> and now we are back to square one :/
>
> Not really. We're actually at square N-1, we just need to do that one
> final jump to get in the "let's actually support that newer version"
> game. :p
>
> Should we pursue this? Are there any other packages that should be
> tested?
>
> Would love other people's opinion as well...

Maybe some of the other rdeps. libssh test suite (if it has one), systemd...
However in the end it will come down to whether you feel confident to push that
out or think it's better to stay put.

Whatever you decide, I'll do my best to help in any way I can.

Cheers,
Emilio