Re: HEADS UP: upcoming change to libgcrypt and other gnupg libraries for Enigmail backport

On 13/12/2018 21:14, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is the latest update in the Thunderbird / Enigmail changes that are
> happening in jessie. I have built a series of test packages, partly from
> stretch (gnupg2, enigmail) and partly from backports (libassuan,
> libgcrypt, libgpg-error, npth) and uploaded them here:
>
> https://people.debian.org/~anarcat/debian/jessie-lts/
>
> I need people to test those packages, and not just enigmail users. Some
> of those packages have pernicious and deep ramifications. I am
> particularly worried about libgcrypt, which is used for example by
> cryptsetup.

I see that your tests have gone well so far (except for enigmail itself for
unrelated reasons as you explain). This is great work, and I don't mean to push
back on it. However given the impact of these library updates, I was wondering
if we have considered to just mark enigmail as EOL in jessie? Obviously if we
can keep supporting stuff we should do that, but as you say these library
updates affect important unrelated rdeps so we need to weigh that.

BTW I have briefly looked at the versions you have backported, and I wonder why
npth and libgpg-error have deb8u3 rather than deb8u1?

I haven't looked at your changes yet, but I will find some time to look at them
and give these packages a try.

Cheers,
Emilio