Re: prevent a package to be installed

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 02:49:04PM +0200, chals wrote:
> Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 14:49:04 +0200
> From: chals <chals@chalsattack.com>
> Cc: Gerard ROBIN <g.robin3@free.fr>
> Subject: Re: prevent a package to be installed

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Gerard ROBIN <g.robin3@free.fr> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 06:35:09PM +0200, chals wrote:
> >> Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 18:35:09 +0200
> >> From: chals <chals@chalsattack.com>
> >> Cc: Gerard ROBIN <g.robin3@free.fr>
> >
> > I tried noautologin, nottyautologin, nox11autologin but none gives the
> > desired result. I use:
> > --bootappend-live "boot-live config=noautologin ....."
> > Perhaps this is not the right syntax ?
> >

> Hi,
>
> I sometimes forget that you can do almost anything with live-config.
> It is a matter of finding the right option that suits your needs.
>
> Ok, first:
>
> No, that is neither the right syntax nor the right option to achieve
> what you want :)
> It should be --bootappend-live "boot=live components noautologin"
> (plus any other options you may want to use)
>
> Second:
>
> In order to prevent the x-manager to start automatically you should
> use the x-session-manager=none option in your bootappend line like
> this:
>
> --bootappend-live "boot=live components x-session-manager=none" (plus
> any other options you may want to use)
>
> You will boot into the console and then you can "startx".

Wonderful all works fine: persistence, end of boot time in console,
startx to start x11. There is only a problem with some missing icons
that do not occur when lightdm is installed. For my personal use, it
does not matter.

> > For nano apt-get purge nano works fine (with the persistence) but I
> > think I use more memory by removing nano that to keep it, so I keep it.

> And fourth:
>
> Why the heck do you want to remove nano? I understand that if you use
> vim or any other editor you want to install vim and use vim. That is
> perfect, but in my own system I have several web browsers (chromium,
> midori, iceweasel, lynx, elinks, w3m) several terminal multiplexers
> (screen and tmux and sometimes others) several irc programs (irssi and
> weechat) and having several applications installed do not hurt.
>
> I have vim and nano and medit and leafpad and to tell you the truth I
> use nano and medit 90% of the times, but I also use the other two
> occasionally. And I am ok with it.

I understand your point of view but I'm a "maniac ecologist" and I like to
use the minimum of resources for maximum results, for example vim, mutt
and moc do this.
Regarding browsers I have not found better than iceweasel under x11
( it is resource-intensive :( ) and lynx in console suits me perfectly.
The opposite example is Knoppix, you need a DVD to burn the iso and
over a Giga to put it on a pendrive.

Thank you for the time you spent helping me.

--
Gerard
*  Created with "mutt 1.5.23"		  *